Friday, July 31, 2009

Field Test of the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS



When you need to test a good camera or a telephoto, try shooting birds. Birds require very high shutter speed and fast focus. So if your gears are not good enough you'll end up with lousy photos.

After buying the 100-400mm, I went to Zoo Negara for the 4th time. Zoo Negara is a poorly maintained zoo. But they have a bunch of painted storks and they were ideal for testing my lens. It seems that the lens is sharp enough. But it is slow, so I had to often push the ISO to 3200. 5D's ISO 3200 is way better than that of the 40D I had. Still its grainy, and grain removal causes a picture to lose sharpness.

Anyway, so far the lens seems good, a bit heavy though. Have to go to Fraser Hill to try again... Seriously thinking about buying a 2x Extender.

3 comments:

  1. Lens is sharp, but slowness make me worried. I loved this lens and was thinking of it lately. But I am now more inclined towards EF 300 f/4 L, especially with a crop-body 40D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good choice.. EF 300 f/4L IS is undoubtedly a great lens

    ReplyDelete
  3. আমিও ৪০০ কিনবো

    ReplyDelete

To comment in Bangla, please use Avro Keyboard Interface. Click here for Bangla Installation Guide.

বাংলায় লিখতে অভ্র কিবোর্ড ব্যবহার করুন. বাংলা ইন্সটলেশন গাইড পাবেন এখানে